Greetings, Pagodians. Some of you may or may not have heard that Our Esteemed Leader in Debauchery, Mr. Hobbson his-own-self, is taking some time away from the ol’ gin-stained keyboard. He’s been more than a little cagey as to where he’s going, and what he’s doing, but I’ve got two main guesses:
1) Lindy Thackston has called in the collection crew for Roy’s mounting gambling debts (it is March Madness season, after all).
2) I heard rumblings about a Komodo dragon fighting ring at Motegi last year. If that’s true, there is clearly no doubt that you-know-who was directly at the center. Japanese summons are not to be ignored, from what I’ve heard, so Roy may be on a “sightseeing” mission to central Japan.
Whatever the case, I’ve been asked to come in and water the plants and pick up the mail in Roy’s stead. Some of you may know me from my updated once-every-third-fortnight blog. Others may know me as the guy whose Twitter vomit routinely blots out Vision Racing’s Twitter stream on race days. Other may know me from my only occasionally on-point/on-topic comments here and elsewhere (hi, George!). I’m The Speedgeek. And I have a racing problem.
I won’t belabor my introduction right at the moment, but Roy was right in saying that things are likely to be a little more…let’s go with “sober” for the next few days. My interests might be a little less explosive- and bodily function-based (and some might say a little less awesome-based) than Roy’s, but I can assure you, we’re going to keep things lively here. To wit, here are some topics that we’re sure to hit before St. Pete approaches this weekend:
- The all-time coolest IndyCar: the Lola T91/00 or the March 86C?
- The differences in laminar airflow over the version 1 and version 2 front wings of the Galmer G92.
- Would racing at Indianapolis Motor Speedway benefit from a change of the coefficient of friction of the racing surface from 0.62 to 0.63?
- Would Roberto Guererro still be racing today if the SAFER barrier had been invented 20 years earlier?
- Evening out turbo boost spikes in the intake manifold of the Menard-Buick V6: a how-to.
- Fabrizio Barbazza – A Speedway Love Story
- Carburetors: do they only belong on vintage race cars from the 1940s? Or just pre-war vintage race cars?
I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to dig in. See everybody soon for our first discussion: Pete DePaolo - Great American? Or Greatest American?